Big List of Free eBooks for 12th Grade Christian Classical Homeschoolers (Veritas Press)2:23 PM
We've been using the Veritas Press courses online for a few years for my kids as an easy way to get a good foundation for our Christian Classical Curriculum. Anyone who loves the Charlotte Mason method from a Christian perspective may enjoy at least reading the books required by Veritas Press, whether or not you actually take their courses.
As books are expensive, and many grades require dozens of titles, we've found that reading them on our Kindle Fire can cut costs dramatically. Classics are usually available for free when using the Kindle device or free reading app. You can find even more titles for free if you belong to the Kindle Unlimited program (under $10 a month to checkout as many books as you want from the library.) We do try to buy books when we can to support the homeschool curriculum publishers, but with 6 kids, every frugal tip helps!
We found the following books for the 12 grade program, all free to anyone with a Kindle device or app. Those for free with an Unlimited subscription (or with added benefits for Unlimited members) are noted. These are subject to change at any time.
- Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
- Democracy in America by Tocqueville
- Emma by Jane Austen (free narration with Kindle Unlimited)
- Leviathan by Hobbes
- Moby Dick (free narration with KU)
- Paradise Lost by Milton
- Pensees by Pascal
- Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
- Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
- Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (free narration with KU)
- The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (free narration with KU)
- Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (free narration with KU)
- Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (free narration with KU) or this copy free with KU
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Walden, and On Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (free narration with KU)
Check back next week for the next part of this series: Big List of Free eBooks for 11th graders! We'll do one a week until we have them all listed. (See grades you missed here.) To be reminded of when they post, sign up for our home education newsletter below!
*Affiliate links to books have been used. Opinions are my own.