The 5 Best Ways to Get a Spring Fresh Home (Enter to Win a BISSELL Upright Carpet Cleaner!)11:34 PM
BISSELL is sponsoring today's post on spring cleaning. I love my BISSELL Upright cleaner, so these opinions are definitely my own!
"Fresh" isn't the word that comes to mind when you ask me about my house. With so many boys, pets, and activities in the home, I struggle with creating a sense of freshness, even after a hard day of cleaning. It seems that no amount of scrubbing or sparkle will make up for that farm "ambience" that just seems to linger in our rural ranch-style home.
It took a few years of experimenting to come up with the perfect balance of "clean" and "fresh", and these five strategies are really the best way to get the look of clean while maintaining an environment you'd really want to invite people over to...
1. Air out your home. I don't care how cold it is outside. Crack a window, run some air purifying fans, and let the breeze blow! Most of today's homes are energy-efficient, meaning they trap stale air inside the home for days and even months! Recycle that stale "lived in" air with fresh stuff from the outdoors. Once a week at a minimum, please.
2. Photosynthesize. I'm a plant killer. My husband has a green thumb. Even though I find plants to be just one more thing to care for, I love how they look, and they really do a great job of adding oxygen to the air. Just having a few plants in your home can help you breathe better!
3. Get your carpets some love. If you have carpet in your home, I feel for you. It's great for keeping your toes warm in the winter, and babies love to roll around on the softness -- but only if it's clean. To keep your carpet looking AND smelling fresh, it's pretty much a necessity to invest in a good product that is designed for professional-strength cleaning with an extra boost of freshness. We have fallen in love with the BISSELL Professional Deep Cleaning with Febreze® Formula to use in our BISSELL Upright Deep Cleaning Machine. Not only does it extract all the gross that hides in my carpet, it leaves behind Febreze freshness and protects my carpet from future damage from pets and kids with its Scotchguard formula.
4. Declutter. I've read all the blog tutorials on how to "downsize", "simplify", and "minimize." The fact is, even if you don't care how clutter looks in your home, it's really hard to clean around. We have started requiring that the kids declutter one surface a day, and that we move forward on one "clutter zone" a week. It's hard to enforce, but nothing feels better than a newly cleared area.
5. Replace lighting. Are you bulbs a bit dim these days? Give the look of fresh with a bulb update. If you have just one bulb where there should be two, get out that step ladder and go to work! You may find that you need to replace your entire light fixture with something more modern or brilliant. Now's the time!
If I know that company is coming over, and I'm not very confident with how my home feels, I'll go outside for about 10 minutes, and come back in. It's amazing what I smell and notice upon leaving for a bit. I usually find that -- if I only have time for ONE task before my guests arrive -- doing a quick job on the carpets helps quite a bit. If my carpet won't dry in time for the guests, I'll do a spot clean with the wand attachment on my BISSELL Upright Deep Cleaning Machine. It takes care of the worst spots, puts off a pleasant odor, and keeps me unashamed of my beige floors.
(Plus, the kids really love playing on clean carpet!)
What ways do you use to freshen your home? BISSELL has additional tips to help you get in shape for spring... (simply click on the graphic below to enlarge). Then see a quick video of how their technology can really help you get the dirt out!
Wanna Win? BISSELL is offering two product bundles (including a BISSELL Deep Clean Lift-Off (valued at $259.99) and BISSELL Professional Deep Cleaning with Febreze® Formula (valued at $21.99) to lucky winners (across all blogs). Winners will be chosen at random. Simply visit BISSELL's website and then comment on this post with your favourite spring cleaning tips. BISSELL will review all the comments and pick two winners across all the communities to receive product bundles! You have until April 30th, 2015 to enter. Make sure to leave an email so we can reach you if you win!