Keep Weather from Being Scary with a Storm Party Powered by Energizer11:19 AM
When you think of summer, what do you think of? Perhaps you think of parties, running through the sprinkler and late night catching fireflies. We think of those things, but we also think of storms. Yes, storms!
July is usually a very prime time for severe weather in Nebraska. Ripe with thunderstorms (and often tornadoes), it's hard to strike that perfect balance between "carefree" and "careful." That's why we always keep a stash of gadgets on hand to keep our weather outbreaks manageable, and -- if at all possible -- fun!
This past week, we were primed to do some outdoor entertaining, but the weather turned nasty. We spent almost every night huddled inside the interior rooms of our home, awaiting 80MPH winds, half-dollar sized hail, and lots of kids being afraid!
Since this isn't our first storm season, we have gotten wise over the years and have learned to turn bad weather into a bonding opportunity. We have used it to have "storm parties". It keeps everyone calm and can actually be a blast!
What do you need to have a storm party? If we don't have to head into the cellar (a pre-1960's shelter in the ground), we hang out in the boys' bedroom and have the following supplies ready:
- Energizer® EcoAdvanced™ batteries. These don't just last long and power almost everything we need during a storm, they are responsibly-made. Energizer® EcoAdvanced™ batteries are the world’s first AA and AAA battery made with four percent recycled batteries.
- Energizer headlights. Sometimes called "head lamps" by my boys, they aren't just necessary to find your way around the house when the lights are out, they can be a crazy good accessory for reading, playing games, or just looking outside through the windows to safely see what's going on outside (the light really shines that far!) Energizer headlights are lightweight, versatile and water resistant with pivoting functionality to direct light where you need it.
- Energizer area lanterns. For lighting up big spaces (like the entire room or hallway), you never have to worry about if everyone falls asleep. Energizer area lanterns are the safe, reliable way to provide bright 360° light long into the night, at the camp fire, or while weathering a storm.
Read books. My boys get out big stacks of their favorites, including titles by Roald Dahl, and the entire Paddington series. Moses (my little bookworm) thinks it's funny to adjust the light on his Energizer® Vision HD+ Focus LED Headlight from white to red. With 250 lumen output and a beam distance of 80M, he can focus back and forth between his book to the other side of his room, giving him light where he needs it and reassurance that everything is going to be OK!
Play games. A quick round of Apples to Apples is good for a laugh and doesn't require a lot of set up. Just a little light (preferably from the Energizer® Fusion LED Folding Lantern) and we're off and running with a great game in minutes. Since the light can be switched between high and low, it's also appropriate to keep on after the game is over and the kids are sleepy.
Build a fort. A simple blanket draped off the side of the top bunk gives kids a special place to play, talk, and giggle while everything blows and howls outside. With their own lantern, it's safe and cozy!
Pump Up the Jam. Thankfully, a charged smartphone keeps us updated on the weather conditions, even when the power goes out. By connecting a bluetooth speaker, we can keep it upbeat and familiar by streaming tunes the kids know and can sing along to. If you don't already have a "Storm Party" playlist on your smartphone, I suggest you create one now!
Even if I'm sweating it a bit, the kids can have the peace that comes with being with their family, staying inside a safe shelter, and having all the light they need to continue fun activities as usual. Our last storm had the power out for quite a bit, so I was super thankful to have a plan in place and lots of Energizer lighting products to keep us safe and secure.
Be sure to check out Energizer before your next storm. You'll want to be more than prepared, you'll need to be ready to party!
Wanna Win? I'm super excited to be giving one lucky reader a BIG Energizer prize pack including the following:
- One Energizer® Fusion LED Folding Lantern
- One Energizer® Vision HD + Focus LED Headlight
- Two packs of Energizer® EcoAdvanced® AA and AAA Batteries
To be entered to win, just use the form below by July 23rd at 11:59 pm EST. Open to U.S. residents 18+ only.
*Prizing and compensation received. Opinions are my own.