Crunchy Organic Corn and Chickpea Cobb Salad9:43 AM
One of the easiest ways for my family to go "organic" with some of our grocery items is to simply grow it ourselves. We have a 4-acre homestead perfect for growing some of the more common organic-type vegetables. During the summer months we find it easy to just pick carrot from the patch and let the kids snack their way to healthy eating habits!
Being a Nebraskan, however, there are just some things we will never be able to grow, and it's always challenging to grow enough for our big 8-person family. That's why we rely on quality organic pantry items to supplement recipes and helps us eat right within our budget. One of the best ways I've seen to do this is with the Wild Oats line of organic foods, available at Walmart! It's pretty simple to toss a few of their products together in a delicious and appealing way.
Just check out the easy Crunchy Corn and Bean Cobb Salad we had for lunch this week:
- One can Wild Oats Organic Corn
- One can Wild Oats Organic Chick Peas
- Fresh Organic tomatoes (or use the Wild Oats Organic diced tomatoes)
- Fresh Organic lettuce (we grow ours in our indoor gardens for year-round fresh lettuce)
- Organic Dressing of your choosing (or see our direction to make your own at the end of this post)
- 1/2 cup tomato-vegetable juice (or the reserved juice from the canned Wild Oats Organic Tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves (or 1 TEAspoon Wild Oats Organic Dried Basic Leaves, crushed)
- One tablespoon Wild Oats Organic extra-virgin olive oil 1
- One tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
All of the Wild Oats product mentioned can be found at Walmart stores nationwide, and some are available to order online at Walmart.com. With price points as low as $2.76 for a 3-pack of the black beans, for example, you can finally afford to "go organic!"