Italian Scalloped Zucchini Recipe11:11 PM
The garden has almost given up giving me any more zucchini's for the year, but I had one or two that I needed to use up. I was inspired by this Scalloped Zucchini recipe at SchoolhouseTeachers.com, from Lori Boling of Loving Learning at Home. I modified it quite a bit, but here is how I prepared it:
- 2 medium zucchini (about 3 cups) sliced very thin
- Shredded Italian cheese blend (1/2 of an 8 oz. bag)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the zucchini very thinly and lay on the bottom of a lightly greased baking pan. (I used salted butter to grease my pan.)
2. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the melted butter on top of the zucchini slices, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour, salt and pepper. Top this layer with 1/3 of the cheese.
3. Repeat with a fresh layer of zucchini on the first layer. Repeat with the butter, flour, salt/pepper, and cheese.
4. After the 3rd layer, pour the 3 tablespoons of milk on the top.
5. Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until the zucchini is cooked through. Remove foil and allow it to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the top is browned and bubbly.
My kids really enjoyed this dish, and I'm glad to have a way to use up the Italian cheese blend in my freezer.
Have you done anything unique with zucchini?
(Linking up to Try a New Recipe Tuesday.)