It's Berry Season! DIY Fruity Cream Cheese Spread Recipe10:36 PM
Can I tell you how excited I am that berries are in season? All of my Walmart stores are carrying the cute little containers of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, and big flats of strawberries, too! This time of year is a favorite for my kids, as I know they'll have no problem eating up berries as a healthy snack.
We love infusing many of our favorite recipes with berries, because it is so easy. My husband, for example, enjoys a cold drink with frozen berries instead of ice cubes. I'm more of a fan of this easy, homemade berry cream cheese spread. Replace the pre-made strawberry whipped cream cheese with this DIY version. It's so much more flavorful!
- One-half of an 8 oz. container whipped cream cheese (Great Value is what I use.)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup fresh berries of your choice
If you use strawberries, dice them finely before using. Otherwise, mix the cream cheese and honey together to create a consistent paste.
Stir in the berries and serve on top of freshly toasted bagels. For a more even consistency and color, use a small blender like the individual mixing cups from my Ninja Ultima Blender. (You may want to add a teaspoon of milk if it's too thick to mix well.)
This is the perfect way to get a little fruit in your typical bagel breakfast. We like ours served on plain bagels with a hard boiled egg on the side. Yummy!
Here's a quick Berry Tip: Don't wash berries until you're ready to serve or cook with them. Too much moisture will shorten their fridge life and encourage mold. If you must rinse them, do so gently with cool water in a colander. Let sit in the colander for a few minutes until most of the water has drained off, then place the berries gently on a paper towel to further dry. Then, enjoy them right away! (Remember that Walmart has all kinds of fresh, high-quality berries in-store right now! Ask your kids to pick one out or encourage them to try something new. A love of berries can't start too young.)
- Frugal Upstate whipped up a strawberry pretzel salad that's perfect for potlucks.
- Mommy's Kitchen made strawberry syrup and Italian sodas.
- Presley's Pantry created a berry pan dulce cake.
- Cutie Booty Cakes sweet treat strawberry Greek yogurt popsicles.
- De Su Mama did a twist on a classic and created Cuban burgers.
- Lynnae McCoy spiced things up with a pepper jack guacamole burger.
- Modern Mami moved away from beef and switched it up with pork burgers and plantain crisps.
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I've received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Links to shopping sites may be referral links.