Yummy Braised Cabbage Medley (Whole30 Compliant)5:36 PM
My husband picked up an amazing haul of fresh veggies and fruits from my local Bountiful Baskets pick up today. We were so blessed to score 50 pounds of cabbage, one of my favorite foods. But we need to eat it up fast, so I spent all day looking for delicious ways to use it up.
I settled on this awesome Braised Cabbage recipe, which I tweaked just a bit for my tastes. It's so caramelized and awesome -- well worth the 2 hours cooking time!
- 1 head cabbage with 1st outside layer removed, cut into large chunks (save core)
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 large white or yellow onion, roughly sliced
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1/8 cup homemade or store-bought compliant chicken broth (I use the drippings of my crockpot chickens mixed with salt and pepper)
- salt and pepper to taste (I love Kosher salt!)
Simply spread the ghee and chicken broth in the bottom of a large roasting pan. Add in the veggies, sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper, and give it a little mix and toss before wrapping it tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Remove foil, toss veggies slightly, then replace foil and bake for another 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. When done, the edges and top will be all caramely and good! I especially love the core, which is soft like butter when prepared this way!
What an amazing side dish! I kept picking at it long before dinner. Can't wait to make it again soon!