Easy and Delicious Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe1:08 PM
There's something about waking up to a hot breakfast that seems simple. But a tater tot breakfast casserole seems like the perfect way to start the day. It's comforting, savory, and just what my family needs to start the day. This recipe is simple and tasty. We hope you'll find it to be a delicious way to celebrate breakfast!
I've seen a lot of yummy-looking breakfast casserole recipes online, but most involve lots of cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, cream of some kind of soup, etc. While the Dane in my loves a good cream sauce, my hubby does not. This tater tot breakfast casserole was the perfect compromise. And it's really, really good.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- One pound bacon, cooked, and diced (for an easy cheat, bake it on a foil-lined pan in a 400 degree oven until crisp!)
- 1 and half pounds frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, colby-jack, or a blend of white and orange cheeses
- 8 large eggs (farm fresh works best!)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup diced green onions (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put the tater tots into a rectangle glass baking dish. Sprinkle the bacon and cheeses on top.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs and milk.
4. Pour the eggy mixture over the tot mixture.
5. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Add diced green onions, too!
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until the egg is set and the tots are golden brown on top. (Note, you can check the doneness of the eggs with a knife. For extra crispy tots, turn the oven to "broil", and move the dish toward the top rack for 3-4 minutes, or until extra done on top!)
Let the tater tot breakfast casserole dish set for about 15 minutes until ready to serve.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Variations
This recipe has a lot of different ways to prepare. You can:
- Substitute 1 and a half cups diced ham or cooked breakfast sausage for the bacon
- Add 1/2 cup diced green and red peppers (cooked)
- Add 1/2 cup diced onions (cooked)
- Substitute a spicy cheese (such as pepper-jack!)
Like this? Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get more of the goodness, plus exclusive giveaway offers!