Fresh Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing1:16 PM
May is a big month for strawberries. While we have just planted our tiny strawberry plants at home, the stores are full of big, plump, and juicy berries. I headed to Walmart to pick up a few containers of this favorite fruit, and (after I hid them from my obsessed toddler), I whipped up this simple and delicious salad that my family went crazy for!
You will need:
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, rinsed, and sliced
- 1 bag of fresh whole leaf spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin, with rings intact
- 1 bag candied walnuts, pecans, or another "sweetened" nut
- 1 lb bacon (with grease reserved)
To make the dressing, you will need:
- Reserved bacon grease from one pound bacon
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup finely diced red onions
- 1 clove finely diced fresh garlic
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
Allow to cool to a "warm" temperature, then drizzle over the salad, toss, and serve!
Do you have a favorite strawberry dish you can't live without? Walmart's strawberry selection is being featured all through May, and it's the perfect time to experiment with new, delicious creations.
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I've received product samples and compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.