Fresh Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing1:16 PM
May is a big month for strawberries. While we have just planted our tiny strawberry plants at home, the stores are full of big, plump, and juicy berries. I headed to Walmart to pick up a few containers of this favorite fruit, and (after I hid them from my obsessed toddler), I whipped up this simple and delicious salad that my family went crazy for!
You will need:
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, rinsed, and sliced
- 1 bag of fresh whole leaf spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin, with rings intact
- 1 bag candied walnuts, pecans, or another "sweetened" nut
- 1 lb bacon (with grease reserved)
To make the dressing, you will need:
- Reserved bacon grease from one pound bacon
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup finely diced red onions
- 1 clove finely diced fresh garlic
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 teaspoon water (optional)
Allow to cool to a "warm" temperature, then drizzle over the salad, toss, and serve!
Do you have a favorite strawberry dish you can't live without? Walmart's strawberry selection is being featured all through May, and it's the perfect time to experiment with new, delicious creations.
As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I've received product samples and compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Like this? Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get more of the goodness, plus exclusive giveaway offers!